Dermal filler injections may be used in many areas of the face to fill and smooth lines, wrinkles, deep folds and to improve the appearance of scars. They may also be used to restore and enhance the youthful curves of the face by adding volume to cheeks and lips and defining the natural contours of the jaw, chin and nose.
As we age, we start to lose volume in certain areas of the face which can make us look tired and sunken. This is caused by the body’s decreased ability to produce collagen and elastin.
Unlike wrinkles which require muscle relaxants to soften them, facial volume and folds require a dermal filler to help re-volumize and hydrate the area.
Made from a natural sugar already present in the human body – Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are an affordable way to replicate the function of this naturally occurring substance and can restore fullness and volume in numerous facial areas.
THE BENEFITS OF HYALURONIC ACID DERMAL FILLERS:
- Immediate results
- Tailored to your individual needs with an enhanced natural look for a more refreshed version of you
- Safe / non-invasive / non-permanent / will naturally break down over time
- Little or no down time
- Avoid touching or applying make-up on the treated area for 6 hours in order to prevent infection. Do not massage the treated areas. Skin redness, bruising, swelling, tenderness, and/or itch are common. If the symptoms persist longer than 3 days, please contact Dr Julia Coelho. Minimize movement of the treated area. However, if there is a visible bump, firmly massage the area.
- Avoid applying heat to the treated area until bruising or any swelling have resolved. Avoid activities that cause facial flushing on the day of treatment including consuming alcohol, hot tub or sauna use, exercising, hot wax, and tanning. Avoid extreme cold like skiing or hiking outdoors.
- Gently apply a cool compress or wrapped ice pack to the treated areas for 15 minutes every few hours as needed to reduce discomfort, swelling, or bruising up to a few days after treatment. When bruising occurs it typically resolves within 7-10 days.
- After treatment, oral and/or topical Arnica may help reduce bruising and swelling. You can find Arnica in the natural foods section of your grocery store or local pharmacy.
- Avoid consuming alcohol, taking aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen or anti-inflammatory medications within the first 4 hours post-treatment as they may increase bruising.
- Routine washing and showering is fine with gentle cleanser and moisturizers. Sunscreen and makeup may be applied after 6 hours post-treatment. Results last approximately 6-12 months.
Dermal filler injections contain hyaluronic acid (HA) – a naturally occurring substance in the skin that stabilises structure, attracts and binds water, and improves elasticity. HA fills the space of volume loss and stimulates skin cell renewal. Common facial areas which are treated with dermal filler injections include the cheeks, lips, chin, jowls, jawline, temples and tear troughs as well as the neck, décolletage and hands.
WHO IS SUITABLE FOR DERMAL FILLER TREATMENTS?
Almost everyone, providing they’re not pregnant or breastfeeding. As part of our safety procedure we’ll ask you to complete a medical questionnaire before treatment. Prior to your first treatment, Dr Julia Coelho will assess your suitability for dermal filler and discuss any concerns or questions you may have.
WHEN WILL I SEE RESULTS?
Results are visible immediately and optimal in one to two weeks. They last six to twelve months, depending on the area treated and the product prescribed. The dermal filler will gradually and naturally degrade in the body. Regular treatments will help to maintain results.
WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME?
There is very little to no down-time involved in the procedure. In fact, most patients return to their normal, daily activities right after their visit. There is always the risk of some slight swelling or bruising with dermal fillers, but these post treatment effects if experienced, will only last for a few days.